Somewhere between 1910 and 1922, the MSC had changed its name to Department of the Government Mineralogist (DGM), that became commonly known as Department of Mineralogy, and lastly in 1962 renamed as Geological Survey Department (GSD) until 1993 when it was abolished to establish the GSMB. From 1903 the three Departments, MSC, DGM and DGS were headed by fourteen Directors.
The aforesaid three departments pioneered in discovering and documenting data of Sri Lanka’s mineral resources, to which all currently operating mineral-based industries owe their existence.
On 18th March 1993, the GSMB was established as a body corporate by an Act of Parliament, the Mines and Minerals Act, No. 33 of 1992 as amended by Mines and Minerals (Amendment) Act, No.66 of 2009, to combine the functions of the GSD with additional responsibilities to regulate the country’s mining and mining related activities by the issue of licences. Until 2018, GSMB’s Board was headed by Thirteen Chairmen along with three Directors as Chief Technical Officers and six Director Generals as Chief Executive Officers.